Friday, October 1, 2010

Spicy Tomato Cream Sauce with Hot Sausage over Rigatoni (L's Idea)

My dear friend "L" came over tonight and we were trying to figure out what to make for dinner.  She mentioned she was craving something like the pasta she had last time we went to Callaway's, my favorite Italian place in Utah.  (I am picky about Italian food, probably my East coast upbringing, but I love their food.  A little pricey, but easy to share an entree or take some home for another meal.)  We had both tried new dishes, Gorgonzola sauce for me (YUM!), and spicy sausage for "L".  She was craving this creamy and spicy red sauce.  A few minutes on the internet brought up a recipe for us to modify to taste. (I even used their measurements for most of it!)
In a pan melt one tablespoon of butter, over medium heat add 1/4 cup of minced onion and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (that little amount makes a big heat difference), cook for 5 minutes.  In the mean time start  1/2 pound of rigatoni and 1/2 pound of hot sausage cooking. (Obviously, the kind of sausage is easy changed to suit your tastes.) To the onions, add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of pasta sauce and 1/2 cup of petite diced tomatoes, drained, simmer for 7 to 10 minutes.  This time is dependent on how think you want your sauce, the longer you cook it the thicker it will be.  Add 1/3 cup of whipping cream and browned sausage, allow to boil for one minute. Ladle this creamy deliciousness over the pasta, makes 3 hearty portions, serve with cheesy garlic bread (which we bought from the store).
I loved this meal!  Definitely easy and fairly quick.  I am thinking that a combination of pasta sauce and Alfredo sauce would produce a similar creaminess with a cheesiness rather than spiciness. 
Thanks to "L" for bringing this wonderful meal to my menu!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment