Thursday, March 3, 2011

Failure!!!

Well, I often mess things up in recipes, so I just just turn them into something else.  This penchant for cooking mistakes has been happening for years.  As a kid I made instant pudding, but it just wouldn't set up.  My dad looked at it after I had put it in the freezer for an hour.  He asked me, "Did you use milk?"  "Dad, it calls for water!"  "No, Joanne, I'm pretty sure you use milk..."  "Look at this box Dad, it says use..... milk.....oops."
Another time my mom asked me to throw stuff in the bread machine before church.  We got home to a two inch brick in the bread machine... I had forgotten the water.  Imagine lots of flour mixed with a couple eggs, then baked.  :D
Well, this time the fail wasn't a mistake as much as just not something fabulous at the end of cooking.  I bought a block of Amish Gorgonzola the other day.  The Italian restaurant up the road has an amazing Gorgonzola cream sauce that I love.  So, I thought I would try out my own.  I used this recipe from Epicurious.
  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese or other blue cheese (such as Maytag)
  • 3/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted
  • 1 cup chopped fresh basil
Cook pasta in medium pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
Melt butter with oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and thyme; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add pasta, cream, and cheese. Toss until sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if dry. Mix in walnuts, then basil. Season pasta to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

(I know the picture doesn't show much, but I hate a picture-less post.) 

It was creamy, stuck to the pasta, and too strong!  I added some pesto to the sauce and that helped add a little sweetness.  I ate a full serving, just to give it a chance, but I couldn't love.

Lesson learned?  Leave the special moldy cheese to the pros!

No comments:

Post a Comment