Monday, March 14, 2011

Maifun, Asian Rice Noodles

Every time I go grocery shopping I try to purchase something I have never used before.  This week was anchovy paste (I have no idea where that will take me).  A month or so ago I bought fennel.  It was a fairly yummy, but it made my heart do some funny flip flops for a day and my blood pressure dropped, so no more more me.  I bought some Asian rice sticks not to long back and they were sitting in my cupboard beckoning me to use them.  I found this recipe for Asian Cold Noodle Salad.  I switched out some ingredients, naturally.
  • 1 6.75-ounce package rice stick noodles (maifun)
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
  • 6 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
  • 4 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 pound peeled deveined cooked medium shrimp
  • 1 cup thinly sliced cucumbers
  • 1 8-ounce package sugar snap peas, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro (dried)

I mostly liked this salad.  The fish sauce, another new purchase,  was a little much.  It tastes like... well, like fermented fish liquid.  I think this would be good with a curry vinaigrette. 


I really liked the lightness of the noodles.  Mouth-feel was like vermicelli, but less starchy tasting. 
I look forward to trying these in other meals, stir-fry maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment