Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Protein, Carb, and Vegetable Equation

In my new quest for more healthy eating, I have adopted the equation

P + V + C = HSJ

Protein + Vegetable + Carb = Healthy Satisfied Joanne

This means I can make whole meals that incorporate all of the things I focus on , or I set them seperately on the plate.  Like most people I can only stand the same old thing so many times.
I love salad and stand alone vegetables, but I have been trying to find other recipes to use as my vegetable component on my plate.

Today's new recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit magazine.


Ingredients

Dressing
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Tbs Lemon Juice
1/2 Tbs Honey
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Salad
1/2 bunch of Kale, center ribs and stems removed, cut into peices
1/2 lb fresh Green Beans

Preparation

Combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
Add kale and toss to coat.
If you want the kale to be still crisp, let this marinate for 30-60 minutes.
If you prefer a wilted salad, let this marinate overnight.
Before serving, blanch the green beans and add them to the kale and toss.
Season to taste with salt and pepper
(original calls for a grated hard cheese, but I didn't want the extra points)


MY REVIEW

I loved this!  My non-kale-eating friend loved it!
It was fresh, perfect for the hot summer night.
It had a great tangy-sweetness, with just a pinch of kick from the red pepper flakes.
It was just what I needed to fill out my meal.


Chicken with barbeque sauce - 4 points
Marinated Kale and Green Bean Salad - 8 points
(point value of whole dressing recipe, zero points for kale and green beans)
Corn on the Cob - 2 points
Whole Meal - 14 points (if you eat the whole salad, which you may!)


No comments:

Post a Comment