Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pizza Night, From Thought to Table in 20 Minutes


How do you get food on the table when you are short on time?
This was not the question I had in mind when I made pizza tonight,
but it all happened so fast that I am adding pizza to my mental
"Oh, darn, I'm hungry and I only have half an hour"
list of recipes, it is also being added to the
"There is nothing in the house but ingredients and leftovers". 
I can't be the only person with these lists. 
The first list "only have half an hour to eat" is pretty common for everyone.
I have found, though, in eating healthier, I try to be sure not to have pre-made
or pre-packaged things in the house because I binge.
So, I sometimes end up at the end of my fresh groceries
a couple days before pay-day or grocery-day.
ANYTHING can become a pizza, so this is my new go-to recipe.
This pizza has a great fold-able crust, and you can make it without turning on the oven!

The griddle has been my friend lately, it hasn't left the counter since I arrived home from CT a week and a half ago.
For the crust, I used a “pinnedrecipe from the blog “4youwithlove”.
The actual recipe is a dough and herb combination for focaccia bread,
I only used the dough portion.
This makes a roughly 12”-ish pizza, perfect for splitting or a larger sized personal pizza.

For the dough
½ Cup Warm Water
1 Tbs Sugar
1 Tbs Yeast
1 Cup Flour
(I eliminated oil and salt from the original recipe because I grilled with oil on the griddle-top and seasoned it with the pizza toppings.)
Always combine water and sugar, first, until sugar is completely dissolved, then add the yeast and allow to proof for a couple minutes. (This is how we make sure the yeast is alive, you should see the liquid get creamy, foamy, and tiny air bubbles on the surface.)
Add flour and knead until smooth and elastic.
Roll out the dough until you find the size, shape, and thickness you prefer.  I like mine about 1/8 inch thick, and in whatever shape I end up with.


Set your griddle to 300’-325’.
You could make these crusts ahead of time,
freeze them on a cookie sheet,
then drop them in a freezer bag.


Using 1 Tbs oil, oil your griddle-top or oil each side of the dough. Place your pizza crust on the griddle.  As it cooks you should see air pockets form in the crust and the bottom will start to brown.  Cook for about 5 minutes then flip and cook 2 minutes on the other side.  





Add your toppings to the pizza and allow to cook for an additional 3-5 more minutes until cheese is melted or toppings are heated through.  
I topped mine with a couple tablespoons of sauce, a few ounces of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and pepperoni, finished with a dash of red pepper flakes and green onions.  





Now, you can serve the pizza as is, or if you are okay with turning on the oven, I stuck mine under the broiler to finish melting the fresh mozz and to crispy-curl the pepperoni.



I love when pepperoni curls!

And check out that thin.
 but not crunchy crust!





To summarize:
Mix up dough - 5 minutes
Brown one side of crust -
minutes
Brown other side of crust and 
heat toppings - 5-7 minutes
(Optional) Broil to crisp up the 
top of pizza - 1-3 minutes
Grand Total: 20 MINUTES!!!

I can't wait to  try pesto, cherry tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella,
or arugula, spiced pork, and sriracha,
or chicken, alfredo sauce, and broccoli, or....

(The crust without toppings, including the tablespoon of oil for cooking is 17 PointsPlus for the entire crust, 9 PointsPlus if it is cut into 2 servings.)















No comments:

Post a Comment