Thursday, June 9, 2011

Watermelon Rind Pickles, Spiced Sweetness from My Childhood

When I say the words watermelon, rind, and pickles, all together, people think I'm crazy.  My mom used to can these.  I just made a batch and put them in some glass bottles I had, refrigerated them until they were gone.  I love the sweetness and bite that they have, lots of cinnamon gives them a subtle spiciness. 


I was making fruit salad when I looked at my watermelon and recalled my moms pickles!  I was so excited to chop and peel my rind.  I found the best way to get rid of the green peel is a vegetable peeler, preferably the "Y" shaped peelers and not the standard stick peeler.








Basically you plop everything in a pot and cook until the pickles get tender and the syrup thickens.  It smells SO GOOD!  (Kind of like mulled cider)
 





I put them in a Pyrex casserole dish to cool. Make sure you do glass because plastic will absorb the intense spices if left in contact for a while.  I let them sit in this for a few days in the fridge, then put them in my glass bottles.

YUUUUUUMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment