Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Intolerance and Hate Against Mormons

I have something to say to every person whining about intolerance and hate. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a MORMON! I hate no person. I respect the views and opinions of others. I may disagree with the opinions, beliefs, and lifestyles of some, but I would NEVER stoop low enough to hurt someone or try to scare someone because of their beliefs. So anyone out there who is angry about people who believe the same thing as me, needs to take a moment. We have freedom of speech in this country and freedom of religion. That means I can say what I believe. I can voice my opinion. I do not begrudge you your voice, your freedom. I am not a fanatic that stands outside a gay bar screaming. I am your friend that disagrees with your opinion but still respects you. I am not the fanatic writing slurs and casting stones. I am doing my best to respectfully express my beliefs while showing you the respect you are due as a human being. So please stop saying that because you feel hated you have the right to hate. Stop sending suspicious packages to buildings where our youth learn about God, stop sending unidentified white powder to a house of worship which we treasure, stop ridiculing the young men and women that are so dedicated to their beliefs that they take time out of their lives to wear the black tag over their heart full time, stop making a man choose between his job and his religion, stop saying and doing things to instill fear. I speak my beliefs with respect, I expect you to respect me in return. Tolerance is a two way street. Tolerance is not the same as acceptance or approval. I may not approve of your choices, but I would never hurt you or judge you based on that. You may not approve of my stance on certain issues, but I expect you to never hurt or judge me based on that.
Next time you insult someone, think about hurting someone, or scaring someone because of their intolerance, take a look in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment